Outschool: Learn and Teach anywhere
Outschool is a startup based in San Francisco that helps parents and their learners find independent or smaller group lessons offered outside of regular school. Outschool platform offers a larger variety of courses.
So, how does Outschool work?
Outschool helps parents and youth find classes geared towards core classes such as math, science, and English. You will even find classes for reading circles, book clubs, art, dance, and many more. Zoom is used for their live classes. Each classroom has a discussion board, schedule, and messaging system for communication between teachers and parents/students.
Teaching on Outschool
As you may have read in my other article, “ I quit my job during COVID“, I talk about taking a leap of faith to redefine life on my own terms. During this life transition, I happened to come across Outschool. I have always enjoyed teaching to and investing in personal development. After much research, I decided to take a shot at Outschool. I created my profile and applied in September 2020, but did not start teaching until January 2021.
Disclaimer: I will be sharing my own personal experiences and information provided by the company.
It should be noted, that with any work you do, it is always good practice to do your due diligence by researching information to find out what is best for you!
Formal credentials for teaching is not required, however, Outschool does have their own standards:
- Base your classes around one or more expertise or passion.
- Meet our community standards, including prompt, professional communication with parents and the Outschool team.
- Observe our class content policy, including the policy that Outschool classes are secular and objective.
- Maintain a reliable and fast Internet connection (over 3Mbps upload and download).
- Possess technical know-how to effectively run online classes.
- Maintain a good command of written and spoken English.
- Verify your identity and run criminal background check.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Reside full-time in any of the 50 United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, England, or Wales (note that other UK countries do not apply at this time)
On Outschool, you can choose your rate depending on your class, student occupancy, class time, and many other factors. Keep in mind that Outschool takes 30% of the parent’s payment and teachers receive 70% via PayPal. Outschool’s payment goes towards general operation, slight advertising (via Facebook, Ads, zoom usage, etc.).
Outschool recommends charging $10-$15 per house spent in class. They encourage you to explore pricing that is best for you!
Example: Let’s say you want to teach a reading class for $12 student , 6 students enrolled, 45minute class.
12 x 6= $72 (before outschools 30% cut); $72-21.6 (Outschools cut) = $50.5 for your 45min class.
Outschool allows you to create your own curriculum (lesson plans creation, activities, and whatever else you would like to incorporate into your class).
As a result, It is really important that you dedicate time into your classes as parents are paying their own money and ,of course, you should want to provide quality lessons to your learners.
Certainly, creating lessons may be time consuming, but once your material is created you can teach the classes as many times with little to no preparation. Although, I love to edit my classes based on the feedback received and how the learners respond during our time together. It is all a learning process as you go.
What subjects can we teach?
- Arts – visual arts, film, theatre, improv
- Coding & Tech – computer programming
- English – grammar, writing, literature
- Health & Wellness – exercise, fitness, nutrition, sex ed, mental health
- Life Skills – critical thinking, study skills, productivity tools
- Science & Nature
- Social Studies – history, sociology, civics, current events
- World Languages
First, you will need to tell Outschool about yourself in a short recorded 3-5 minute video. In this video your will also need to teach a sample lesson ( I chose time management, as an example). Next, be sure to provide detailed information about your teaching experience, your expertise in the topics you would like to teach, and what you will bring to the platform.
Finally, you will be asked to complete and pass a background check (once you have made it through part 1 of the application process). Once passed, you are not on your way to listing your very first class.
A few tips when recording your video: you do NOT need to have an educational background, however, make sure you are free from distractions and noise, appropriate dress, clear lighting and background.
So Rae, what classes do YOU teach?
If you haven’t noticed yet, my niche falls in line with Life skills. Personal development in particular. I enjoy helping Women and Youth with self-discovery and redefining life on their own terms. There is a great need to help out children learn about self-growth and effective skills early on life. So, I have created my courses to do so:
- How to be assertive Part I and Part II (Ages 11-14)
- Introduction to Positive Thinking (Ages 9-12) (Ages 13-16)
- The 15 invaluable laws of growth By John C Maxwell (Ages 15-18)
- Positive Affirmations for the Soul (Ages 9-11) (Ages 12-14) Ages (15-18)
- Leadership Skills for Kids (Ages 9-12)
- Believe it Achieve it Vision Boards (Ages 12-14) (Ages 15-18)
- What should I do? Problem-Solving for teens (Ages 13-16)
- S.O.D.A.S for kids Part I and Part II (Ages 9-12)
- Hello Gorgeous Make-up for beginners Focus on inner beauty (Ages 8-11)
- “No time to waste ” time management
Final thoughts on Outschool
Outschool is a great education platform to help assist your child in gaining much needed skills along with improving their core subjects. If you would like to teach on Outschool without having to go through the process of a formal education and if you are passionate about a subject, this is the platform for you! BUT I want you to remember that parents/guardians are paying their hard earned money for teachers and classes of quality. We wan to make sure we are providing children with material that will still with them even after class as well as help them excel in their personal lives. If you are just looking to get paid, this is not the platform for you!
This article and A World Full of Rae contains affiliate links and is a member of Outschool Affiliate Program and AWIN. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Read my disclaimer for more information.
For questions regarding Outschool contact me.
To view my teacher profile, click here! You can also check out my parent reviews!
One thought on “Outschool: Learn and Teach anywhere”